find somethin' on this blog.

3.29.2012

ethel's thimbles.


I lost my grandmother back in September. It was the first major loss I've had in my life since my grandfather passed away when I was 9. I was lucky to have so many wonderful years with her, she was nearly 93 when she left us. She was an avid maker of things for many of those 93 years. Knitting and crochet was her knack. She won best in show for a finely crocheted tablecloth last year...it was quite the accomplishment! While going through her possessions I stumbled across her sewing box. In the tin were numerous buttons, clumps of half century-old beeswax, scissors and thread. All of the usual sewing box suspects accounted for.
 Then I saw the thimbles. 



I claimed these beauties for my own. It warms my heart knowing that these thimbles lived countless hours on the tips of her fingers that produced such beautiful things. A shelf befitting of such beauty was in order. So I painted this thrift store find and here they will live. They are treasures, complete with pricks, dents and deep scores, evidence of use. Evidence of the love and time that she put into her craft. 
Treasured.

5 comments:

little.onion said...

I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I learned to sew and crochet from my grandmother. Her beautiful handwriting made me want to be lady like with wonderful elegant hand writing just like hers.
I'm so glad you have these thimbles to remember her by. I can't help but associate kisses with thimbles from peter pan. It's like your grandma left you kisses and now they can always be displayed.

Laurel's Quill said...

How very cool. So is this the first of many in a new collection?? I like it. Sweet memories for you.

Christine said...

So sorry for the loss of your grandmom. There's something about that generation collecting thimbles--for as long as I can remember I have been bringing my own grandmom a souvenir thimble from every place I have traveled and she keeps them in a nice display at home.

ma zawi said...

beautiful. glad to see you are writing again.

Joanne Huffman said...

They are treasures filled with memories.